Is hating where you are stopping you from moving forwards?
OWN YOURSELF AS YOU ARE, NOT HOW YOU WERE OR HOW YOU WANT TO BE BUT RIGHT NOW.
Let me explain further – I have never kept it a secret that I struggle with my weight and body image. It’s not a lack of knowledge about what to do, it’s a multitude of reasons that are all in my head – but that’s another story. The last few years for me have been particularly difficult and consequently I feel like I’ve been running to stand still at times with my weight. With that, I’ve realised that for some time now, I just haven’t been making so much effort with my hair, my earrings, doing my nails etc etc….it’s all on the back of ‘when I’ve lost X amount of weight I will…’ it’s like I feel there is no point making an effort with what I have now so I’ve let myself drift a bit.
Then I realised – what am I waiting for?! Life is what happens when you’re making plans for the future!! So I have to embrace what I am now – whatever that is! Even if it’s not how I was 2 years ago or exactly where I want to be, I need to be proud of who I am and what I DO achieve right now and every day. Whether I’m a couple of inches bigger or not doesn’t matter to my friends and family and neither should it. They probably don’t even notice as much as I think they do and the fear of that has paralysed me and prevented me from moving forwards – the irony!
I’m sharing this because, through my 8 years experience as a PT I have heard this same story being told to me again and again by my clients (btw – that’s why my company is called Affinity – because I totally understand!) So firstly, I wanted to say, you are not alone and secondly:
– be proud and take pride in who you are. The more you do too the more likely you are to achieve your goals cause you feel like you are worth it.
– focus on all the things you DO do and not the things you haven’t quite managed yet – you can’t do everything!
– look after yourself in every way, eat for health, not for weight loss
– make yourself a priority, you can’t pour from an empty cup!
– check how you talk to yourself! Would you tell your friend they’re fat and useless? No? Then don’t do it to yourself. Turn the negative inner dialogue to positive and you will feel so much better.
– be kind. To you and others. It’s good for the soul.